Recipe by Mrs. Koehn
This is a wonderful adaptation of this recipe. My children are always willing for this dish, and the variations are many!! Try it with sunflower seeds, Parmesan cheese, croutons just before serving or adding onions or other vegetables!
Top Review by Beansy
Absolutely loved this recipe. I did make this with cabbage but think a little pasta thrown in would also be great. Will definitely be making this often!! Thank you so much for sharing!!
- 1 large leek, washed and sliced
- 4 -6 slices lean bacon, cooked and chopped (OR 1/2 to 3/4 Cup real bacon bits)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (2/3 ounce) package Italian salad dressing mix
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces pasta (optional)
- sunflower seeds (optional)
- crouton (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using PASTA in place of cabbage;Cook pasta as per package directions in salted water, drain. Meanwhile: In large frying pan cook Leeks and bacon in butter until leeks are tender.
- If using CABBAGE: wedge 1/2 head cabbage into 4 pieces, then slice thinly. Place in pan with Bacon, Butter and leeks. Cook uncovered over medium heat until desired tenderness is reached (we like a little crunch), stirring occasionally.
- Add milk, seasoning (and if using Pasta: add it to pan now) to frying pan, heat through.
- Add topping if desired, serve warm. Also good cold!
- For Vegetarians- omit bacon.
- Gluten free- replace pasta with cabbage (some Italian seasoning may contain gluten!).