Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Make and share this Creamy Green Bean Bake With Crumb Topping recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb green beans, ends trimmed (a combination of yellow and green beans)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups sour cream (do not use low-fat)
- 2 cups finely shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs (or dried bread crumbs)
- Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil and blanch the beans for 2 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Coat the inside of a 9- or 10-inch square baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and sugar, stirring until the mixture bubbles.
- Decrease the heat, stir in the sour cream, and whisk until the mixture has thickened.
- Fold in the cooked beans and toss to coat.
- Spread the beans in the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, blend with the panko, and sprinkle the top of the casserole with the crumbs.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven fro 20-25 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the crumbs are golden brown; serve immediately.
- Make Ahead instructions: after step 8—Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days (not suitable for freezing).
- Preheat oven to 350°; let casserole come to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the crumbs are golden brown; serve immediately.