Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nice pasta dish that is very versatile. I have added sun-dried tomatoes and different veggies. From Bon Appetit, October 1995.
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 177.44 ml whipping cream
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1.23 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 14.79 ml butter
- 340.19 g cremini mushrooms or 340.19 g button mushrooms, 1/2-inch pieces
- 340.19 g penne pasta
- 354.88 ml frozen green peas, thawed
- 8 slice prosciutto, cut crosswise, 1/4-inch strips
- parmesan cheese
- Bring broth, cream, garlic, and crushed red pepper to boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in 1/2 cup parmesan cheese; cover and keep warm.
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; saute until brown and tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite.
- Drain pasta and return to pot. Add cream mixture, mushrooms and peas and stir over low heat until well coated with sauce, about 3 minutes. Mix in prosciutto. Cover and let stand 1 minute. Transfer to bowl. Serve, passing additional parmesan cheese separately.
I didn't see the amount of garlic to be used so checked the epicurious website and added 3 cloves of garlic in step one. I used half and half, so my sauce wasn't quite as thick as it would have been had I used cream. Nonetheless, I loved this and it disappeared quickly with requests that it be made again.