Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you are an onion lover, you will absolutely LOVE these mashed potatoes, this is a simple recipe but oh so good! Use russet potatoes only for this recipe, they make the best mashed potatoes! These go perfect with a roast beef, pork or chicken dinner. For the creamiest mashed potatoes use whipping cream!
- Do this firstly or while potatoes are boiling, in a skillet fry the onions in butter until golden brown (this might take about 15 minutes, and do not drain the butter, if you do you will have to add in more butter anyway!).
- Boil the russets in a large pot of boiling water until fork-tender; drain and transfer the cooked potatoes to a large bowl.
- Mash the potatoes with the whipping cream and fryed onion/butter mixture until fluffy (I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer for this with the mixing attachment and make certain to mash the potatoes while they are still warm or hot).
- If desired you can add in more whipping cream depending on the consistancy you desire.
- Season with salt and tons of black pepper.
Yummy! I used my food processor to chop up the onion (I only had one onion in my house). They turned out great. I'm sure it would have been even better if I had been able to follow the recipe and use 2 onions. Also, I used 1/2 cup of butter. I don't think 1/3 cup would have been buttery enough for me
I absolutely love onions and put them in everything, while my husband is not as big of an onion fan. I fell in love with the name and had to make these; I thought they were great, and was completely shocked when my husband told me that this recipe was "definitely a keeper!" Thank you so much for this great recipe, the onions add such a great taste to the potatoes! I can't wait to make these again :)
These were very good indeed--the only changes I'll want to make are to add garlic to the onions, substitute unpeeled red skin or yukon gold potatoes for russets (personal preference), and to chop the onions more finely next time. They were very rich and flavorful--I think that these would be excellent with a beef roast! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, kittencal!