Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
From 4 in 1 - Creamy Custard Drizzle, Dip, Dressing or Sauce - albeit Twissis posted the tastiest recipe but for right now, that version doesn't fit my diet plan. Until such time as I can return to the land of the _normal_ eaters. ;-), I'll _suffer_ along with this sugar-free, lower fat recipe. This could be considered _medicine_ for dieters - when you get crazy from lack of sweets, dose yourself with a couple tablespoons of this lovely sauce. Repeat as needed. Serving size= 2 ounces or 4 tablespoons
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice (or lemon juice)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 egg (well-beaten with egg substitute)
- 6 ounces fat free cream cheese (softened)
- In a heat proof bowl, blend cornstarch & salt. Gradually whisk in the fruit juices & stir to combine.
- Set bowl on top of a pan of simmering water (double boiler - don't let water touch bottom of bowl), cook and stir until mixture thickens, for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in Splenda. If you want it sweeter, add more Splenda. Quickly whisk 1/4 cup of hot mixture into beaten eggs then add that back to the bowl.
- Return it all to the double boiler & cook 5 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add cream cheese; stir until well incorporated.
- Refrigerate until well chilled.
- Use as a sauce/drizzle/dressing for fruits, angel food cake, etc.
- Serving size = 2 ounces or 4 tablespoons.