Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A friend of mine ordered corn enchiladas while we were out to lunch last weekend. I wasn't in the mood for it at the time but later that day I though it seemed like the perfect way to use some of the Hatch chile I have in the freezer. I had some left over spinach so I decided to throw that in as well.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 453.59 g package frozen sweet corn
- 118.29 ml roasted hatch new mexico green chili pepper, diced (leave the seeds in if you want extra heat)
- 1 bunch spinach
- 226.79 g package light cream cheese, softened
- 226.79 g package light sour cream (reserve half for topping after baked)
- 14.79-29.58 ml fresh cilantro, finely chopped (this is about a handful unchopped)
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 453.59 g jar green tomatillo sauce
- 340.19 g monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Saute onion in large skillet until soft. Add salt and pepper to onion while sauteing. In a large bowl, defrost corn in microwave and drain well. Return to large bowl.
- Add diced Hatch chile to corn.
- Add spinach to sauteing onions and cook down, about 5 minutes.
- Add softened cream cheese, 4 oz of sour cream, chopped cilantro, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and onion / spinach mixture to corn and Hatch chile and mix well.
- Lightly grease 9x13 baking dish with olive oil.
- Fill each tortilla with 2 or 3 large spoonfuls of corn / spinach mixture. Roll tortillas and line in baking dish. (It may help to warm tortillas in kitchen clothes for 30 seconds in the microwave to ease rolling. Also, I was able to fit 8 across and 4 down in my baking dish.).
- Add tomatillo sauce to cover rolled enchiladas and cover with cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until brown on top.
Fantastic Flavours really great I didn't bother to microwave corn (don't have a microwave!) instead I added it to the pan after sauteeing the onions and then added 2 handfuls of fresh spinach with a clove of garlic. I only needed 200g of cream cheese (about 4oz) and had no need for the sour cream at all. Chopped one green chilli and added it as don't know what roasted hatch blah blah blah IS!!!! It was hot enough for my taste. Made 8 corn tortillas altogether. Didn't have tomatillo sauce so used a hot salsa and topped it off with monterey jack as per recipe!!! Will be trying it out on my veggie boyfriend next weekend! Sure to be a WOW!!!