We love creamy, cheesey casserole's in my family....a little too much! Now that I'm trying to lose some weight, I want to keep the family happy, but cut out a little of the fat. Here's a delicious take on a favorite of ours. We've found some great ways to substitute fattening (and high sodium/caloric) cream of chicken soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 385.
- 2Bake the chicken breast until no longer pink in the middle.
- 3When chicken is done cooking, remove from over, let cool for 5 minutes, then shred. Set aside.
- 4While the chicken is baking, boil water and cook the pasta until done to desired tenderness.
- 5Drain the pasta and pour into a mixing bowl, set aside.
- 6In a small saute pan, heat chicken broth and skim milk together to a low boil.
- 7Combine 1/4 cup warm water with 2 Tbls cornstarch.
- 8When chicken broth/milk is at a low boil, whisk in cornstarch/water mixture. Remove from heat and stir until thickens. Pour over noodles.
- 9Add chicken, sour cream, 1/2 cup of frenches onions and pepper. Stir.
- 10Tear slices of american cheese into smaller pieces and add to pasta/chicken mixture.
- 11Pour into casserole dish.
- 12Bake for 20 minutes, or until hot through the center.
- 13Sprinkle the rest of the frenches onions over the top, return to oven. Bake for another 3-5 minutes, or until onions are crispy and browned. Be careful not to bake too long, onions will quickly burn.
- 14Let cool for 3-5 mintues before serving.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.5
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 49.8 mg
- Sodium 82.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 22.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat American cheese
French's French fried onions