Creamy Dreamy Easy Mexican Chicken Casserole
photo by Sirpezy
- Ready In:
- 1 (1 lb) rotisserie roasting chicken
- 3⁄4 cup medium yellow onion, chopped (about half medium onion)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (8 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Campbell southwest-style pepper jack soup
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup shredded taco blend cheese
- 3 large flour tortillas
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- Pull apart chicken into bits and/or tiny strips into a large bowl.
- Over medium heat sauté onions to desired texture.
- Mix together chicken, taco seasoning, refried beans and Rotel tomatoes (with juices) and onions.
- Mix together Southwest style condensed soup & sour cream in medium bowl.
- In a medium casserole dish spread half the sour cream mixture on the bottom.
- Then tear 1 tortilla into pieces on top of sour cream mixture.
- Add 1/2 chicken mixture on top of that & then a layer of cheese.
- Repeat layers and sprinkle cheese on top.(For an extra crunchy top, add an extra layer of torn tortilla between 2 cheese layers).
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Both the chicken mixture & sour cream mixture can be mixed ahead of time & stored in the fridge.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was great! I have made it twice and have gotten great reviews from my DH both times. The second time I had to use Cambell's cheddar cheese soup because I can't find the pepperjack anymore. I added some of the rotel to the cheese to try to make up for that, and it was still really good. I also used 4 large tortillas with this.