Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Quick Cooking
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 -5 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 12 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter flavored crackers, crushed
- Spread rice into a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, bouillon, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; add chicken, cheese and sour cream; stir until the cheese is melted.
- Pour over rice.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs.
- Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425 for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
This was really yummy! My family and I loved it! My substitutions: instead of the Velveeta, I used medium cheddar that I cut into cubes (about 10 oz); I only had 1 cup of sour cream; and I used organic flax seed crackers that had a hint of a buttery taste and threw them in the food processor and topped the casserole with it without the additional butter. It tasted great! I will be showing up again for dinner some time in the near future :)
Easy to fix casserole that everyone enjoyed. Made early in the day and refrigerated until dinner time. Used an 11x7 dish for a half-recipe. Great use for leftover rice. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I have mixed feelings about this. It makes a ton! Which is great since everyone is on a tight budget (including us) and this definetly stretches the dollar. My husband loved it and took leftovers to work (he hardly ever takes leftovers - I'm still training him). Anyway, I found it okay. So I think four stars works out for this recipe and our family. I have been passing it around to family. I'm going to test it on our kids for dinner tonight. Thanks for posting!