Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is easy to make, and you can use crescent rolls in place of the phyllo if desired. The rolls can be made up to a day in advance and refrigerate covered with plastic wrap. I suggest to double this recipe, it is very good!
Top Review by CulinaryQueen
This was my first attempt at using phyllo dough and was very pleased with how they came out. I left out the bacon, only because I didn't feel like waiting for it to thaw. Also used a finely minced onion in lieu of the green onions because I didn't have any. As the filling is rich, the phyllo balances it out with being light and crispy. Thanks Kit.
- 10 sheets phyllo pastry
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, chopped
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 4 ounces cream cheese (cut into small pieces)
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1 lb cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1 teaspoon white salt
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the filling; heat 3 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the mushroom pieces and chopped bacon; cook stirring until softened (adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking).
- Stir in the mustard, cream cheese, whipping cream and cooked chicken; mix well until combined.
- Layer 5 sheets of phyllo pastry together brushing each sheet with melted butter (keep the unused pastry covered with a barely-damp clean dish towel at all times to prevent drying out).
- Slice the pastry in half to form two squares then cut again to form four squares.
- Spoon one-forth of the filling onto the end of each square; roll once and tuck the ends in and roll up.
- Brush lightly with melted butter and then sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- Place rolls on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned and the filling is hot.