Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Don't be deceived by the lack of added seasonings. It is full of flavor! Adding the squash makes the whole thing rich and smooth, with a color and consistency similar to Kraft Mac'N'Cheese! Delicious! Even my daughters loved it! (3 yrs & 7 mos) I just took the chicken out for my baby girl, mashed it up, and she couldn't have enough! This recipe makes a whole stock-pot full, and it's super easy to make, so it's a great one to make and freeze the leftovers. I was going to, but it we scarfed it all up in 2 days!
- 12 cups chicken broth (I used 1/4c "Herbox Chicken Instant Bouillon & Seasoning" with 12 c water)
- 4 large chicken breasts, boneless-skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic, chopped (yes, the whole bulb! Don't worry, it's not too much!)
- 1 kabocha squash, cut in half, seeds removed, then cut into several large chunks
- 16 ounces shell pasta, large shells
- Bring water and stock to a boil.
- Add chicken, onion, garlic, and squash. Return to boil; reduce heat; cover.
- Cook until squash is tender. Remove squash from soup, remove pulp from peel, cut into chucks, and return to pot (discard peel).
- Cook about an hour, stirring occasionally, until most of squash and all of onion and garlic are "pureed" (you won't need to puree it; it does it by itself).
- Add shells and cook until they are almost over-cooked. My shells were pretty big when it was all done, and it was great!
- Serve and enjoy! Freeze your leftovers!