1/1 Photo of Creamy Chicken and Kabocha Squash Shells
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef #1459874's Note:
Don't be deceived by the lack of added seasonings. It is full of flavor! Adding the squash makes the whole thing rich and smooth, with a color and consistency similar to Kraft Mac'N'Cheese! Delicious! Even my daughters loved it! (3 yrs & 7 mos) I just took the chicken out for my baby girl, mashed it up, and she couldn't have enough! This recipe makes a whole stock-pot full, and it's super easy to make, so it's a great one to make and freeze the leftovers. I was going to, but it we scarfed it all up in 2 days!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 cups chicken broth (I used 1/4c "Herbox Chicken Instant Bouillon & Seasoning" with 12 c water)
- 4 large chicken breasts, boneless-skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic, chopped (yes, the whole bulb! Don't worry, it's not too much!)
- 1 kabocha squash, cut in half, seeds removed, then cut into several large chunks
- 16 ounces shell pasta, large shells
- 1Bring water and stock to a boil.
- 2Add chicken, onion, garlic, and squash. Return to boil; reduce heat; cover.
- 3Cook until squash is tender. Remove squash from soup, remove pulp from peel, cut into chucks, and return to pot (discard peel).
- 4Cook about an hour, stirring occasionally, until most of squash and all of onion and garlic are "pureed" (you won't need to puree it; it does it by itself).
- 5Add shells and cook until they are almost over-cooked. My shells were pretty big when it was all done, and it was great!
- 6Serve and enjoy! Freeze your leftovers!
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken and Kabocha Squash Shells
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 11
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.6
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 33.7 mg
- Sodium 868.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 21.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: