Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a great, easy dish for a meatless meal but I usually serve some Italian sausage alongside for my meat-loving husband. I sometimes add chopped mushrooms to the sauce. Adapted from a Better Homes recipe.
- 8 manicotti
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely shredded lemon, rind of
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cook manicotti according to package directions, being careful to not overcook (or they'll split while you're filling them); drain.
- Sauce: cook onion and garlic in butter until tender; stir in flour and blend well, then add milk all at once; Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly; add swiss cheese and wine; stir until cheese is melted.
- Combine egg, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, lemon peel and nutmeg.
- Fill manicotti with ricotta mixture (I use a small teaspoon to do this); arrange in a 12x7x2 inch baking dish.
- Pour sauce over the filled shells; cover and bake in a 350° oven for 35 to 40 minutes.