- 44.37 ml butter, divided
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 1123.80 ml cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 828.06 ml water
- 709.77 ml reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 709.77 ml chopped carrots (about 1 pound)
- 59.14 ml half-and-half
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 78.07 ml reduced-fat sour cream
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Move onion mixture to side of pan; add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to open space in pan. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 1 minute or until butter begins to brown. Add sweet potatoes, 3 1/2 cups water, broth, and carrot; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place half of soup mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining soup mixture. Stir in half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 8 bowls; top each serving with about 2 teaspoons sour cream and 3/4 teaspoon parsley.