Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious and company-worthy...the flavors definitely meld better made a day in advance. From Cooking Light.
- 44.37 ml butter, divided
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 1123.80 ml cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 828.06 ml water
- 709.77 ml reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 709.77 ml chopped carrots (about 1 pound)
- 59.14 ml half-and-half
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 78.07 ml reduced-fat sour cream
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Move onion mixture to side of pan; add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to open space in pan. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 1 minute or until butter begins to brown. Add sweet potatoes, 3 1/2 cups water, broth, and carrot; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place half of soup mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining soup mixture. Stir in half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 8 bowls; top each serving with about 2 teaspoons sour cream and 3/4 teaspoon parsley.
This soup is delicious! I made it exactly as written, and it was perfect! Great flavours, great consistency, and a wonderful colour! Made for ZWT7-Pacific Islands. (Vivacious Violets)
Wow, we really enjoyed this special treat Jan. The carrot and sweet potato soup, had so much flavor, was creamy, smooth and velvety, quick and very easy to make. Just perfect, I will be making this beautiful soup for years to come. Thank you so much for sharing. Made for ZWT7 for Witchin Kitchen