a fun fall twist on an old favorite
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Creamy Butternut Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 medium onion (you will grate it right into the pot)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 ounces pureed butternut squash
- 1/2 cup milk or 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (not the kind in a can)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
Lasagna Roll Ups
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Cook noodles according to the package directions.
- 3Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Set aside.
- 4While the noodles are cooking, make the sauce: heat a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and butter. When the butter melts into the oil, add the thyme and grate the onion directly into the pot with a Microplane or grater. Cook the onions for a minute or two.
- 5Add the flour and cook with the onions a minute or two more.
- 6Whisk in the stock a little bit at a time, then add the squash and cook until warmed through and smooth.
- 7Stir in the cream or milk and bring to a bubble.Stir in the cheeses in a figure eight motion and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- 8To make the rolls: Squeeze out as much moisture from the spinach as possible. Stir together spinach, 3/4 cup of the parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- 9Spread about 1/4 cup of the spinach mixture along entire length of each noodle; roll up noodles.
- 10Line up rolled noodles slightly apart in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- 11Pour sauce over noodles.Bake, covered at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.
- 12Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Put back in oven until cheese bubbles and browns.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Butternut Spinach Lasagna Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 483.0
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 67.5 mg
- Sodium 908.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 28.3 g