Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
a fun fall twist on an old favorite
Make and share this Creamy Butternut Spinach Lasagna Rolls recipe from Food.com.
Creamy Butternut Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 medium onion (you will grate it right into the pot)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 ounces pureed butternut squash
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (not the kind in a can)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
Lasagna Roll Ups
- 8 -10 lasagna noodles
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, for topping (approx. amt.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles according to the package directions.
- Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Set aside.
- While the noodles are cooking, make the sauce: heat a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and butter. When the butter melts into the oil, add the thyme and grate the onion directly into the pot with a Microplane or grater. Cook the onions for a minute or two.
- Add the flour and cook with the onions a minute or two more.
- Whisk in the stock a little bit at a time, then add the squash and cook until warmed through and smooth.
- Stir in the cream or milk and bring to a bubble.Stir in the cheeses in a figure eight motion and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- To make the rolls: Squeeze out as much moisture from the spinach as possible. Stir together spinach, 3/4 cup of the parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the spinach mixture along entire length of each noodle; roll up noodles.
- Line up rolled noodles slightly apart in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Pour sauce over noodles.Bake, covered at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Put back in oven until cheese bubbles and browns.