Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another great broccoli casserole recipe I got from allrecipes.com. Submitted by "menda". I added some frozen pearl onions to the broccoli mixture and it added a wonderful "crunch" to the dish.
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup crushed round buttery cracker
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place broccoli in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water and cover.
- Cook until tender but still firm, about 2 to 6 minutes; drain.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in salt, flour and milk.
- Stir in cream cheese and cook, stirring constantly until cheese melts.
- Remove from the heat and stir in broccoli.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of crushed crackers over the bottom of a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Slowly pour the broccoli mixture into the dish and top with remaining crushed crackers.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Yooper this is a great tasty recipe I did make a couple of changes just to cut back on calories a bit without taking away from your recipe I added the pearl onions as you suggested (steamed 3 minutes, used the broccoli (steamed 3 minutes) and added sliced carrots (steamed 4 minutes. Cut the cream cheese by 2 oz. I used regular cream cheese not low fat. For the crumbs I used Ritz crackers but I didn't slip any Ritz under the casserole only on top. I'll make this recipe again - All my veggies in one dish, great Thanks