1/1 Photo of Creamy Bratwurst and Potato Soup
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Smoky Okie's Note:
I came up with this the other night after being chilled to the bone from a broken furnace at the office. It is a definite chill chaser. This and a crunchy crusted piece of garlic toast is a meal in itself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 20 ounces bratwursts, grilled and sliced
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, grated
- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 1/2 lb butter or 1/2 lb margarine
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hickory smoke salt
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1Melt butter in Dutch oven.
- 2On medium low heat, sweat onion, garlic, and potatoes.
- 3Season with white pepper and salt.
- 4Potatoes will begin to form a slurry from their starch. This is normal.
- 5Continue to sweat until potatoes begin to soften, adding liquid if necessary (beer, white wine, broth,etc).
- 6When potatoes have softened, add milk,cream and nutmeg and bring to slow simmer.
- 7From this point on, do not allow to boil. Only allow a slow simmer.
- 8After returning to simmer, slowly add grated cheese and melt into mixture.
- 9Add bratwurst, return to simmer, and simmer 30 minutes.
- 10Salt and pepper to taste.
- 11If soup is too thin, or if soup has accidentally come to a boil and broken make a slurry made of 3 parts milk or water to 1 part flour and add a little at a time to the simmering soup allowing it to thicken before adding more.
- 12Stir in parsley.
- 13Serve with your favorite salad and/or fresh garlic toast.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Bratwurst and Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 533.2
- Calories from Fat 389
- Total Fat 43.2 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 118.5 mg
- Sodium 843.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 17.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hickory smoke salt