Cook1 hr 15 mins
I came up with this the other night after being chilled to the bone from a broken furnace at the office. It is a definite chill chaser. This and a crunchy crusted piece of garlic toast is a meal in itself.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 20 ounces bratwursts, grilled and sliced
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 gallon whole milk
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream
- 1⁄2 lb butter or 1⁄2 lb margarine
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons hickory smoke salt
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- Melt butter in Dutch oven.
- On medium low heat, sweat onion, garlic, and potatoes.
- Season with white pepper and salt.
- Potatoes will begin to form a slurry from their starch. This is normal.
- Continue to sweat until potatoes begin to soften, adding liquid if necessary (beer, white wine, broth,etc).
- When potatoes have softened, add milk,cream and nutmeg and bring to slow simmer.
- From this point on, do not allow to boil. Only allow a slow simmer.
- After returning to simmer, slowly add grated cheese and melt into mixture.
- Add bratwurst, return to simmer, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- If soup is too thin, or if soup has accidentally come to a boil and broken make a slurry made of 3 parts milk or water to 1 part flour and add a little at a time to the simmering soup allowing it to thicken before adding more.
- Stir in parsley.
- Serve with your favorite salad and/or fresh garlic toast.
My family loved this ! Hubby took leftovers to work since it makes a big batch and they all loved it as well. I used chopped onions, minced garlic, no nutmeg and I used regular salt and put in a dash of liquid smoke. Other than it took a while to make it was easy and delicious.