Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
For a luxurious vegetable side-dish try this rich creamed spinach, flavoured with Parmesan, lemon zest and nutmeg.
- 2 lbs spinach
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 5 ounces butter
- 5 ounces flour
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces ciabatta, made into bread crumbs
- 7 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the spinach and blanch for 1-2 minutes, drain, plunge into cold water and squeeze dry.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Mix in the flour and gradually stir in the hot milk, stirring until the mixture thickens into a white sauce.
- Stir in the spinach and season with freshly grated nutmeg, salt and freshly ground pepper, mixing well.
- Place the spinach mixture into a rounded ovenproof dish and top with a layer of stale ciabatta breadcrumbs and then a layer of Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle over the lemon zest, then top with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes and serve warm from the oven.