Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another "comfort food" passed down from Mom. This was actually my favorite meal growing up and is sure to win over spinach lover's & 'not so' spinach lovers alike as you don't taste the spinach very much. Serve over toast. (Note: this is not the traditional creamed spinach you find in restaurants. It is very thick & creamy and is served as a meal, not a side dish.)
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach (pre-pared according to package directions-be sure to drain)
- 4 tablespoons flour (more or less to thicken to desired consistency)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- Melt butter over low heat in 2 quart (non-stick) sauce pan or larger.
- Blend in flour, salt & pepper.
- Add milk, increase heat to medium & stir frequently until mixture is smooth & bubbly (may take as little as 10 minutes or as much as 30 minutes or longer to reach the thickness you desire-this is suppost to be very thick, like a gravy consistency). (Meanwhile, prepare spinach according to package directions and toast bread.).
- Once sauce is nice & thick, increase heat to medium high and bring to a full boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in the sliced hard boiled eggs.
- Spoon spinach onto toast and pour hot sauce on top. Salt & pepper to taste, if desired.