Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe originally came from a Colonial Williamsburg cookbook. The ginger and nutmeg make it a little different from the majority of creamed spinach recipes.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (12 1/2 ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Set spinach out to thaw.
- Melt butter in a medium pan on stove.
- Stir in flour and spices.
- Add milk slowly, stirring constantly until sauce thickens.
- NOTE: A white sauce reaches its maximum thickness when it starts to boil.
- Add thawed, drained spinach.
- If making ahead, put in a covered casserole dish and store in refrigerator.
- Before serving, heat in a 350 degree oven until bubbly (about 1/2 - 3/4 hour).