Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
When my DH and I got married he requested Creamed Lima Beans. I had heard of Creamed Corn before but never limas. I soon found out it was a dish his great aunt prepared for him regularly so I dutifully learned to fix it too. She also used this sauce for creamed peas or carrots.
Top Review by bettydonna
This is EXACTLY how my Grammy Sibyl would make them. She called it "thickening" and used it on limas, corn, peas, and shelly beans. Thank you so much for bringing this recipe back! DELICIOUS!
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen lima beans, cooked
- water, for cooking lima beans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook lima beans according to package directions; I use the microwave.
- Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour and blend well.
- Add milk, about 1/2 cup at a time, and blend with whisk.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Total amount of milk depends on how thick you prefer the sauce to be.
- Stir in sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add cooked, drained lima beans.