Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Based on a recipe from Meals for You. We loved this!
- 1 lb crabmeat, picked over & cleaned (thawed if frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 3 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup green peas (thawed)
- 3 tablespoons red pimientos, minced (the bottled kind)
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- paprika, for sprinkling (garnish)
- Place crabmeat in a steamer basket over boiling water.
- Cover saucepan and steam 3-4 minutes.
- Remove crab from steamer and set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté celery and onion about 8 minutes or until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and sauté another 6 minutes.
- Now, add garlic and saute another 30 seconds.
- Stir in flour and simmer about 5 minutes or until flour turns light brown.
- Combine next 5 ingredients(starting with clam juice through red pepper flakes) in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Shake vigorously.
- Add to celery mushroom mixture and simmer about 4 minutes, stirring frequently until sauce boils and begins to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer another 2 minutes.
- Add crab, sherry, white wine, peas, pimentos and Worcestershire sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer over low heat until hot.
- Serve creamed crab over toasted English muffins, sprinkled with parsley and paprika.
- Serve with a Chenin Blanc, Beaujolais, or Fume Blanc, and a salad of greens and a nice tropical fruit cup.