Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This brings back a lot of childhood memories! We always had it over toast, but it can be served over rice, noodles, or any other pasta. Prep & cooking times are just guesses, so may not be very accurate!
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 29.58 ml flour
- 236.59 ml milk
- 1.23 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 63.78 g packagesliced dried beef, rinsed & cut into bite sized pieces
- salt & pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over low heat.
- Thoroughly mix in flour & gradually add milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until thickened.
- Continue to heat for 5 minutes.
- Add worcestershire sauceand sliced dried beef.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve immediately over toast, prepared rice, noodles, or even pastry shells.
- We had for breakfast a lot, but is also good for lunch or dinner!
I loved this as a kid, but every time I have tried it over the years since then, I found it to be way too salty. Thank you for your instructions to rinse the beef first. That cut the salty taste way down. One of my favorite ways to eat this years ago was over a baked potato, so that is what I did tonight. Very good. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! :) Made for Fall 2012 PAC game.
First, just let me say that I'm pleased to be the first one to rate this recipe. Now on to my review,I made this recipe for mine and SO's dinner and for the " Spring PAC 2009 "event. The recipe was made as written except I couldn't find the dried beef, so deli-style wafer thin beef was used.This is exactly the way my Mom made this when I was growing up. And my Dad used to call this S.O.S.;). This will be made again. Thanks for posting and " Keep Smiling :) "