1/6 Photos of Cream Puffs or Eclairs With Vanilla Pastry Cream
1 hr 10 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
My husband is not a big fan of cake, so for his birthday each year, I make cream puffs for him. He loves these so much, I have to make sure he only eats one or two at a time so he doesn't make himself sick! There are several cream puff recipes out there, but this vanilla pastry cream is a bit different from the others and it's really wonderful. Prep time does not include 2 hours chilling of pastry cream. From the Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
semisweet chocolate glaze (or just dust with powdered sugar)
- 1Make vanilla pastry cream:.
- 2In 2 quart saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt; stir in milk.
- 3Over medium heat, cook, stirring until mixture thickens and boils, about 10 minutes.
- 4Boil 1 minute.
- 5In a small bowl with fork, beat 6 egg yolks slightly.
- 6Beat small amount of heated milk mixture into yolks.
- 7Slowly pour egg mixture back into milk mixture, stirring.
- 8Cook over medium low heat, stirring till mixture thickens and coats spoon well, about 8 minutes (do not boil).
- 9To check thickness, lift metal spoon from mixture and hold up 15 seconds - spoon should not show through mixture.
- 10Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- 11At this point I usually put this custard through a strainer to get out any lumpy cooked egg pieces.
- 12Cover surface with plastic wrap, and chill well, about 2 hours.
- 13When custard is cool, in a small bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy/whipping cream till stiff peaks form.
- 14With a rubber spatula, gently fold whipped cream into custard.
- 16Spray 1 or 2 large cookie sheets with nonstick spray. Heat oven to 375.
- 17In 2 qt saucepan over medium heat, heat butter, water and salt till butter mixture boils.
- 18Remove from heat.
- 19Add flour all at once. With a wooden spoon, vigorously stir until mixture forms a ball and leaves sides of pan.
- 20Add eggs to the flour mixture, one at a time, beating well after each addition, till smooth.
- 21Cool mixture slightly.
- 22Using a large spoon and rubber spatula, drop batter onto cookie sheets int 12 large mounds, 3 inches apart, swirling the top of each.
- 23(for eclairs, instead of mounds, spread the choux paste into 5" by 3/4" rectangles).
- 24Bake 50 minutes (this is what the original recipe says - however, I NEVER bake them that long - more like 35 minutes - go by your own oven - if they're looking puffed and browned and dry, they're probably done).
- 25At this point, remove from oven, cut a small slit in the side of each puff and return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- 26Turn off oven and let dry for 5-10 minutes (I don't usually do this and it doesn't seem to matter too much).
- 27When puffs are cool, slice top off of each - there will probably be some webby looking soft dough inside - carefully pull this out to make it hollow.
- 28Fill each shell with the chilled pastry cream.
- 29Replace top and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- 30For Eclairs:.
- 31Go through the same process, but top with semisweet chocolate glaze: In saucepan, melt 2 squares semisweet chocolate and 2 T butter, stirring constantly (or heat briefly in the microwave to melt) Stir in 1 cup powdered sugar and 3 T milk till smooth.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream Puffs or Eclairs With Vanilla Pastry Cream
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 416.7
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 215.9 mg
- Sodium 238.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 25.0 g
- Protein 6.6 g