Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
These cream puffs are easy to make, but your guests will think you are a master chef once they taste these treats!
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, unbeaten
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put 1/2 cup boiling water into a quart-size saucepan. Add butter and beat until butter melts. Add flour all at once, and stir vigorously until ball forms in center of pan.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after adding each egg. Mixture should be very stiff.
- Drop by spoon onto a greased cookie sheet (you should divide the dough to make about 18 puffs).
- Bake in preheated 375 degree F oven until free from beads of moisture, about 40 to 45 minutes. After baking, cool on a wire rack before filling with cream.
- While the puffs are baking, make the cream filling. In a saucepan, mix sugar, flour, and salt. Add scalded milk gradually. Cook 15 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Once mixture thickens, stir occasionally.
- Add eggs, slightly beaten, and cook 1 minute more.
- Cool and add vanilla extract.
- Cut the top off the cooled puffs and fill with cooled cream filling.
- Replace top. I sometimes dust these with powdered sugar before serving.