Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Like an 'Eclair in pie form. I haven't tried it yet, but love 'eclairs and this pie looks just as delicious! From Taste of Home.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipped cream, divided
- chocolate syrup, and (optional) or fresh raspberry (optional)
- Crust: In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Spread in the bottom and halfway up the sides of a well-greased 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 400 F for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely.
- Filling: Combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount into eggs; return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Stir in vanilla. Cool.
- Fold in 1 cup of whipped cream. Pour into the crust. Top with remaining whipped cream. Chill for 2 hours. Garnish with chocolate sauce and/or raspberries if desired.