1/1 Photo of Cream of Yam and Spinach Soup
Adapted from the Louisiana Sweet Potato commission, this recipe is packed with healthy ingredients. A cream soup with no cream, no butter; just flat out good for you. I used King Arthur's "white" whole wheat flour to pack in a bit more nutritional punch. My local Safeway is carrying this flour now. This colorful soup is very mild; if you want to kick it up with some heat, go right ahead. Mr. B does not like spicy; when he tried this soup he gave it two thumbs up. Note--I use bagged baby spinach and don't bother to remove the stems.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 (14 ounce) cans vegetarian broth
- 3 cups fresh yams, large dice
- 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach leaves, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion stems
- salt and pepper
- 1In a large heavy pot, heat olive oil to medium-high, and cook onion, celery, red bell pepper and garlic until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- 2Whisk in the flour and gradually add the broth, whisking until soup is blended.
- 3Add the yams and bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low, or a slow simmer. Cook approximately 20 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender.
- 4Add the spinach, milk, green onions, salt and pepper (I didn't measure, but guesstimate that I used between 1/2 and 3/4 teaspoons salt).
- 5Turn the heat back up to medium. Cook until spinach is wilted and soup well heated and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 6Hope you enjoy!
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Yam and Spinach Soup
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.5
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.2 mg
- Sodium 75.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: