Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed unsalted tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces grated monterey jack cheese
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- crushed unsalted tortilla chips
- Bring chicken broth to boil in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon chopped tomato and 2 tablespoon chives for garnish.
- Add remaining tomato, chives and 1 1/2 cups tortilla chips to saucepan and sauté 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour over and stir mixture for 2 minutes.
- Stir chicken broth into tortilla mixture.
- Cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Stir in whipping cream.
- Add grated Jack and cheddar cheese and stir mixture until cheese is melted and well blended.
- Add chili powder and cumin.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Can be prepared 1 day ahead.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate.
- Rewarm soup over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Sprinkle each with some of reserved tomato and chives and crushed tortilla chips and serve.