Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
An elegant dinner-party soup.
- 2 (1 lb) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup water, blended with tomatoes until smooth
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (18 ounce) can diced tomatoes (, include juice)
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons basil, crumbled
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 16 ounces half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne, if desired
- Bring tomato puree, celery and wine to boil.
- Simmer tightly covered about 20 minutes or until puree is deep red and celery slightly tender Add garlic, diced tomatoes, water, tomato paste, and basil.
- Continue simmering about 15-20 minutes or until celery is very tender Meanwhile, gently heat olive oil in a skillet and saute onion, green pepper, and bay leaf for about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently until vegies are tender Add onion mixture to soup.
- Turn burner to lowest heat and add sour cream, butter, and half and half.
- Add salt and pepper, and cayenne and adjust seasonings to taste.