Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A patient at a physiotherapy clinic I worked at used to bring in soup for us for lunch. He brought this soup in once and it was an instant hit for everyone who tried it, even those who say they hate turnip/rutabaga. We begged for the recipe and this is what we got.
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups rutabagas, diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (or 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup cream)
- Cook bacon until crisp in a large pot.
- Remove bacon from pot, crumble and set aside.
- Saute onions, celery and garlic in bacon grease for 5 minutes.
- Add rutabaga, potato, chicken stock, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Blend using hand blender in pot or blend in blender in batches. Return to pot if blended in blender.
- Stir in milk.
- Heat gently to serving temperature, do not boil.
- Garnish with bacon and enjoy.
We loved this soup. I used only whole milk and it's creamy enough (I puree it in the blender). The only thing I don't like is the sweetness of the soup. Next time I'll omit the sugar. It's too sweet. The bacon adds a nice touch to the soup. THanks Momto3greatboys :) Made for TYM tag game
This is a wonderful creamy flavorful soup. In addition to serving it with bacon as suggested, I added chives. Definitely a rutabaga lovers dream come true! WARNING: If using a blender to cream the chunks, please **vent** the steam while blending to prevent a terrible steam burn accident.