Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have tried a lot of Potato Soup recipes and this is my combination of what I consider the best of the best. I took this to work and everyone just loved it. Hope you will too.
- 5 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 8 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb smoked ham, chopped ((if you meat has a casing or tough edge, remove))
- 3 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped ((if your meat has a casing or tough edge, remove))
- 1 quart heavy cream ((you can also use half and half or milk))
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese (can use up to 12 ounces)
- In a large kettle, combine chicken broth and cubed potatoes and bring to a boil.
- In a sauce pan melt butter and add onion, celery and carrots and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes depending on how fine you chopped your veggies.
- When the potatoes are done add the ham, canadian bacon, celery, carrot and onion mixture with butter to the broth.
- Reduce heat to medium and when the soup is NOT boiling.
- Slowly add the Heavy Cream (you do not have to use the entire quart) just enough to made it creamy.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove about half of the soup mixture and place in blender.
- Blend until smooth then return to soup to thicken.
- If it isn't thick enough, mix corn starch with cold water and add to soup.
- Simmer on medium heat for about an hour or until it thickens stirring occasionally.
- Serve with crispy sour dough bread or Aroostook's Refrigerator Rolls and enjoy.
Best potato soup I have ever had! I created an account just to review this soup! I made it exactly the way it says except I put regular bacon in instead of the other meat. It is absolutely delicious!! If you are looking for a deliciously tasty hearty soup this is it!!
Very tasty! I reduced the ingredients down to 2 servings since it was only me at lunch today. I left out the chicken broth and it still turned out great. Very hearty and filling. Think I'll take a nap!! LOL! Thanks for sharing this one. Prepared as a participant in the January 2009 - Soups on in the Diabetic Forum.
I couldn't find the potato soup recipe I had tried a long time ago that was awesome, so I debated which one to try on RecipeZarr. I am SOOOO glad I banked on this one!! The whole family loved it, and it was very filling. Everyone was stuffed after one bowl. I only left out the celery and carrots this time, and used far less onions, and it was GREAT! Definitely comfort food we will be making in the colder months! Thanks Nimz!