Recipe by ~Nimz~
I have tried a lot of Potato Soup recipes and this is my combination of what I consider the best of the best. I took this to work and everyone just loved it. Hope you will too.
Top Review by lecomte
Best potato soup I have ever had! I created an account just to review this soup! I made it exactly the way it says except I put regular bacon in instead of the other meat. It is absolutely delicious!! If you are looking for a deliciously tasty hearty soup this is it!!
- 5 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 8 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb smoked ham, chopped ((if you meat has a casing or tough edge, remove))
- 3 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped ((if your meat has a casing or tough edge, remove))
- 1 quart heavy cream ((you can also use half and half or milk))
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese (can use up to 12 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large kettle, combine chicken broth and cubed potatoes and bring to a boil.
- In a sauce pan melt butter and add onion, celery and carrots and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes depending on how fine you chopped your veggies.
- When the potatoes are done add the ham, canadian bacon, celery, carrot and onion mixture with butter to the broth.
- Reduce heat to medium and when the soup is NOT boiling.
- Slowly add the Heavy Cream (you do not have to use the entire quart) just enough to made it creamy.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove about half of the soup mixture and place in blender.
- Blend until smooth then return to soup to thicken.
- If it isn't thick enough, mix corn starch with cold water and add to soup.
- Simmer on medium heat for about an hour or until it thickens stirring occasionally.
- Serve with crispy sour dough bread or Aroostook's Refrigerator Rolls and enjoy.