Recipe by ChefRed
Looks delicious and easy. Can be made with different vegetables such as, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, or even chicken!
Cream of Mushroom Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 button mushrooms, brushed off with damp towel and chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk or 1 cup cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, halved and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mixed wild mushroom, shitakes, oyster, woodear, your pick, stems trimmed and caps thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, 4 sprigs, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine, eyeball it or, more stock
- 1 lb extra-wide egg noodles
- 3⁄4 lb gruyere or 3⁄4 lb swiss emmenthaler cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons chives, 12 to 15 blades, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the egg noodles.
- Heat a medium sauce pot over medium heat.
- Add extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, about 1 tablespoon, and 2 tablespoons butter.
- When butter melts, add in chopped button mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, until just tender.
- Sprinkle in a couple of tablespoons flour and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock and bring to a bubble then stir in the whole milk or cream.
- Reduce heat to low and gently simmer.
- Season the sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan then the shallots and mushrooms.
- Cook the mushrooms 8 minutes, until tender.
- Season with thyme, salt and pepper and deglaze the pan with 1/3 cup dry white wine or a little stock.
- Reduce heat to medium low and let the liquid cook off.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- While the mushrooms cook, drop egg noodles in water, salt the water and cook noodles to al dente, with a bite to them.
- Drain noodles and return to hot pot.
- Add the sauce to the pot and toss noodles to coat in sauce.
- Lightly cover a casserole dish with softened butter then transfer cream of mushroom noodles to the casserole dish and top with wild mushroom ragout and the shredded cheese.
- Place the casserole under the broiler and melt and bubble the cheese until brown at edges.
- Garnish with chives.