Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A lovely way to use celery!Very summery I often serve it sprinkled with a garnish of fresh coriander Leaves.
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 cups diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 4 teaspoons plain flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk or 2 cups skim milk
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan,heat butter til bubbly,add celery,onion and stock cubes and stir til well combined.
- Reduce heat and cover,and let simmer for 10 minutes til veggies are tender.
- Sprinkle flour over veggie mixture stirring constantly,until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Puree 1/2 the mixture then return to pan,rewarm stirring til well combined.
This was really good. I also added thyme, and added a little garlic powder. I used vegetable bullion instead of chicken as I am a strict vegetarian. It was for this reason I also used soymilk instead of regular milk. Something else I did differently was I had already steamed some celery, so I just threw that in when the onions were done.
What a nice recipe!! It tastes good as is, and it will taste wonderful in the chicken dish I'm about to prepare. I added 2 sliced cloves of garlic to the saute mixture as well as 1/4 t. kosher salt and 1/2 t. dried thyme. It took 6 large stalks of celery for me to get 4 cups. I pureed everything - the flavors mix so much better that way. Delicious! Makes 4 1-cup servings
found this soup to be very good and better still very healthy.I would tell everyone to try it and maybe add a bit more celery .I used 4 sticks and the leaves.Wife wants me to make it again soon.She took it for lunch 2 days in a row... Enjoy...Reg