Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is from Heartland Soups cookbook. This is a really good soup. I don't know the exact prep or cook time except for the 1 hour to bake the squash. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
- 4 lbs butternut squash
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipping cream (optional)
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups chicken stock
- sliced smoked cured sausage (optional)
- chopped chives (to garnish)
- parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Cut squash in half; remove seeds.
- Place upside down on large cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven 1 hour or until tender.
- Scoop out flesh; cool.
- Puree in food processor.
- Place in large soup pot.
- In medium skillet melt butter and saute onions until transparent; add thyme, stir and heat to release herb flavor.
- Puree in food processor until smooth, then add to pureed squash.
- Stir in cream, if desired, milk and chicken stock.
- Heat to serving temperature but do not boil.
- Soup may be stored in refrigerator a week, or may be frozen.
- If desired, heat slices of sausage in soup.
- Garnish with chopped chives and Parmeasan Cheese.
I thought this soup was alright. I expected it to be creamier because of the name, and I didn't like the thyme flavoring, so I ended up doctoring it up with other seasonings to make it taste okay. Maybe it's just a matter of preference. I did put sausage slices into the soup while it was cooking, which I thought added a lot to the flavor and heartiness.