Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Rich and wonderful.
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cream sherry
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- nutmeg, for topping
- Combine walnuts, celery, chives with the chicken stock in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then cook for twenty minutes on medium.
- Stir in the sherry, butter, cream and salt.
- Reheat and serve with a sprinkling of nutmeg.
I just want to point out that there is a BIG difference in the flavor of black walnuts from regular walnuts. It is well worth it to search out black walnuts to make this recipe. It would not be the same without them.
I followed this recipe to the letter. When finished I ended up pureeing it before I served it as the texture was too course. Next time I would finely grind the walnuts in a food processor instead of chopping before boiling. Good flavor!