Recipe by Sascha
This pureed soup is super fast to put together, though it takes a while to cook. It's well worth the effort. Serve it with some fresh bread to dip.
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 bay leaf (laurel)
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- chicken carcasses (optional) or ham bone (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the ingredients except the cream in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Skim off and discard any foam that appears on the surface.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered until the barley is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Discard the chicken carcass or ham bone if used.
- Puree the soup in an electric blender or food processor and return to the pot.
- Add the cream and heat.