Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs
Wonderful little appetizer from a vintage cookbook! Cook time is the time to refrigerate overnight.
- 20 slices bread, edges trimmed
- 20 dill pickle spears
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion juice
- Soften cream cheese with a small amount of mayonnaise.
- (There was no measurement given in the book. I used 1/4 c of mayo, but you may use more or less depending on your taste.) Add onion juice to cream cheese/mayonnaise.
- Mix well.
- Spread a layer of this mixture on each slice of bread.
- Put a dill pickle spear on each slice of bread.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion.
- Wrap each roll tightly in wax paper and refrigerate overnight.
- Slice each roll in 5 slices.
I thought these would be really great because who doesn't like cream cheese, pickles, and white bread? They were okay. I can see how they would go over well at a Superbowl party or poker night, but for my taste, these were not great, just okay. Ease of preparation and few ingredients make this easy. I will try this again but maybe add red pepper flakes or jalapeno to kick it up a bit. Thanks for posting.
We usually roll the bread flat, then spread the cream cheese...it makes it easier to spread since the bread is flattened. They are always a big hit!!
These turned out perfect and were very easy to prepare and slice. They were gobbled up! Thanks