Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I always liked the way my mom made meatloaf, I remember her cleaning out the frig to make it. But it always seemed like the more I added the less it tasted like I wanted it to. Finally I think I've come up with the perfect recipe for our taste. I did add a pinch of Caribbean Rub, (Not caribbean jerk) which added a savory hint, but it is not absolutely necessary. (See my Caribbean Coleslaw Masterpiece recipe for an explanation about what to use for a good Caribbean Rub if you decide to include it). I Loved the way the glaze turned out! I think the thing I enjoyed most in this batch was the addition of the cabbage, we all Really enjoyed it. The amounts are estimates, so use your best judgment as you build it. I made this batch in muffin tins, which is a fun way to do it sometimes, when you want it to cook a little quicker, and want things portioned, it also allows each serving to have a bit more glaze, & makes it a little easier to freeze and pull out individual portions.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (mine were homemade, but not too coarse)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground horseradish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic (1-2 cloves)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grill seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon blackening seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet basil (measurement is for dried)
- 1 pinch caribbean rub seasoning (not jerk)
- 2⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (really should be balsamic)
- For Loaf:.
- Mix all ingredients by hand until everything is well incorporated.
- Put in large loaf pan (or 2 smaller loaf pans) leaving 1/2-1" gap on one end for grease to drain to.
- OR for muffins, form meat mixture packed & rounded into each muffin space (makes approximately 10 regular sized muffins, usually 2 per person). Do place over a cookie sheet so that you don't have grease drip onto your oven.
- Generously brush on glaze to top(s).
- For loaf: Bake at 350 approx 1 hours.
- For "Muffins": Bake at 350 for approx 30-40 minutes.
- Or until meat tests done in center at 160-170 degrees.
- Serve with a side of the glaze, & use any leftover glaze with leftovers.
- Suggest serving with my: Absolutely Great, Simple, Secret Mashed Potatoes #300049.