Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 25 mins
This recipe comes from Taste of Home's Best Holiday Recipes, 2009, & if you're as big a fan of the sweet potato as I am, well . . .
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup cranberry juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scrub & pierce the sweet potatoes, then bake them for 1 hour or until tender.
- In a small saucepan, saute the onion in the butter until tender, then add the cranberries, syrup, water, cranberry juice & just 1/8 teaspoon of the salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover & simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the berries pop, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the walnuts & mustard & heat through.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then sprinkle with the pepper & remaining salt.
- Top each half of potato with 2 tablespoons of the cranberry mixture, & sprinkle with chives.