Recipe by Boomette
From Rachael Ray.
Top Review by JanuaryBride
Very good bread. . .and the lime glaze really makes it special!!! I added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, otherwise made it as written. Mine was a bit underdone in the middle even after 30 minutes, so next time I will make the round a bit more flat. Thanks for sharing, Boomie!!! Made for Photo Tag.
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 lime, grated peel and juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/3 cup milk and the lemon juice; let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Rub in the butter until coarse crumbs form, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cranberries.
- Beat the egg into the milk mixture; stir into the flour mixture until just combined. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until it just comes together; form into an 8-inch round and place on the prepared baking sheet. Using a knife, score a 1/2-inch-deep "X" in the round. Bake until dark golden and crusty, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, lime peel, lime juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon milk. Drizzle the cooled soda bread with the lime glaze.