Recipe by grandma2969
This is an old family favorite. Makes great snacks or can be served as dessert. Be sure to remove the seeds if present from the oranges.
Top Review by Bobbie
I love finding these gems that NO one has rated. I made these today for a barbecue tomorrow and they are fantastic. This is a real "sleeper". While warm, we had a litte scoop of vanilla ice cream with them. I'm considering trying to warm them a couple minutes in the microwave tomorrow and including that ice cream scoop!
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 large unpeeled oranges, cut into quarters
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup butter
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind cranberries and oranges, including peel; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, ginger.add ground fruit -- bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cook and stir for 15 minutes or until thick.
- Remove from the heat; stir in nuts, if using.
- Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile for crust:.
- Combine flour, sugar and lemon peel in large bowl.
- Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla and just enough water so dough holds it shape.
- Pat two thirds of dough into 13x9 pan --
- Cover with cranberry orange mixture.
- Crumble remaining dough on top.
- Bake at 425°F for 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Cool and cut into bars.