Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg,orange peel and orange juice all at once; stir just until mixture is evenly moist.
- Fold in cranberries and walnuts.
- Spoon into a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Pretty yummy! Easy to make and even easier to eat.
This sounds like the recipe I always made for years at Thanksgiving & Christmas. It was on the back of the bag of fresh cranberries which I cut out & soon misplaced. Thanks for finding it. It is truly delicious.
This bread is a tradition on the Thanksgiving table in our family. We love the tartness of the cranberries in contrast to the sweet bread.