Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
Simply delicious & gorgeous! Created by the Hartstone Inn, Camden, Maine. Prep time includes simmering and cooling time. Can be made by the glass or pitcher.
- 12 ounces cranberries, fresh, can use frozen
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup limoncello (Italian lemon liqueur)
- 2 dashes bitters
- vodka, citrus flavored
- lime slice
- 1 cup pomegranate juice, for thinning (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cranberry Syrup Base.
- Combine the cranberries, sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Cool.
- When cool, place mixture in a blender and blend for 2 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove all of the seeds and skin pieces.
- Add the remaining ingredients: lemon juice, lime juice, 2 dashes bitters, Limoncello liquor and the cranberry base is complete. Makes approximately 5 cups.
- Chill completely until ready to use.
- For each Cranberry-Limoncello Martini.
- In a shaker filled half way with ice cubes:.
- Add 2 - 2 1/2 ounces cranberry syrup base. NOTE: may use less per glass as it is a bit thick w/ this amount. I have been experimenting and think 2 oz may be best for starters. Start w/ less and add more if desired or add some pomegranate juice to each cocktail.
- Next, add 1 1/2 ounces citrus flavored vodka.
- Shake 50-100 times and pour into martini glass. If you shake 100x, you will get little crystals of ice in your pour.
- Pour into martini glass. Garnish with a lime slice. YUM!
- PITCHER: Measure 2 cups vodka, entire recipe of base> approx 5 cups of base. To thin add 1 cup pomegranate juice. Stir. Add to shaker full of ice and pour into individual martini glasses.