Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This would be great for the holidays; mostly sweet with a little tartness in every bite. The dairy can be varied to increase or decrease the fat content. It's also quite simple to make. Cook time includes minimum chill time.
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine cranberries, orange liqueur and water in a microwaveable container and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Set aside to steep.
- Heat milk and 1 cup of the half and half along with sugar, salt and vanilla bean to a simmer, remove from the heat and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Lightly beat egg yolks in a large saucepan and, beating constantly, whisk in the milk-vanilla mixture a little at a time to make a custard base.
- Put this mixture back on low heat and cook slowly, whisking frequently, until it thickens into a custard consistency.
- Meanwhile, put the second cup of half and half into a large bowl and set a fine mesh strainer over it.
- Pour the thickened custard through the strainer into the half and half and stir to combine.
- Place in an ice bath to cool and refrigerate several hours or until completely chilled.
- Chilling is very important; the ice cream will not freeze without it.
- Churn according to manufacturer's directions in an ice cream maker; in the last five minutes of churning add the cranberries and any accumulated liquid.
- Enjoy now as soft serve or freeze for ice cream.