Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This cake does double duty as breakfast and as dessert. Have on hand for unexpected holiday guests.
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh cranberries
- 1 pear, cored and sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- 2. To prepare filling, combine dried apricots and water in a small bowl; let stand 30 minutes. Combine remaining filling ingredients in a large bowl. Add apricots and soaking liquid; mix well. Spoon into prepared pan.
- To prepare cake, combine flour, sugar, butter and salt in a food processor. Pulse until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup for streusel topping.
- Add egg to flour mixture in food processor. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk, stir well, and add to flour mixture. Add vanilla. Pulse to make a cake batter. Pour over cranberry mixture in pan.
- To prepare streusel, add streusel ingredients to reserved flour mixture. Toss well. Sprinkle over cake batter and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.