Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
Better Homes and Gardens
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken breast
- 170.09 g carton plain yogurt
- 14.79 ml grated fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 9.85 ml garam masala
- 3 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 78.07 ml butter
- 158.51 ml raw cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1182.95 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 473.18 ml basmati rice
- 14.79 ml butter
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 118.29 ml dried cranberries
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- 236.59 ml hot whole milk
- 29.58 ml chopped of fresh mint
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- In a medium nonmetal bowl combine yogurt, ginger, garlic, and garam masala; mix well.
- Add chicken pieces; toss to combine.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven cook onions in 1/3 cup hot butter, stirring often, about 15 minutes or until onions are golden and caramelized.
- Using tongs, remove onions from Dutch oven; set aside.
- Add cashew to Dutch oven; cook for 2-3 minutes or until lightly brown and toasted.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove cashews from Dutch oven; drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large saucepan combine 4 cups of the chicken broth, the basmati rice, and 1 tablespoon butter.
- Bring to boiling, decrease heat; simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until broth is absorbed and rice is tender; remove from heat.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade.
- Add chicken to Dutch oven; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cinnamon, cumin, salt, and cloves; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add remaining chicken broth; cook and stir 4-5 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Add cranberries, caramelized onions, and cooked rice to chicken mixture in Dutch oven.
- Mix gently.
- Combine cayenne pepper and milk.
- Pour milk mixture over chicken-rice mixture.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and mix well.
- To serve, divide chicken mixture among serving bowls.
- Top with mint, cilantro, and reserved cashews; serve immediately.