Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great cake for the fall cranberry season. I always have cranberries in the freezer (I stock up in the fall) and just thaw what I need for baking anytime of the year. This cake can be glazed with your favorite sugar glaze, or make glaze with powdered sugar and orange juice.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, whole
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (walnuts or pecans, or both)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Coat a 10 cup bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cream sugar and butter until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs.
- Sift dry ingredients together into a bowl.
- Add dry ingredients, alternately with buttermilk, to egg mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Spoon batter into bundt pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand in pan 15 minutes and then turn cake out onto plate.
- Glaze if desired.
Absolutely delicious! This cake is the reason why I freeze fresh cranberries for use all year long. The combination of the dates and cranberries is wonderful and the smell while the cake is baking is fabulous. Will definitely make this cake again and again! Made for the Football Pool, September 2013.
I made this with some extra fresh cranberries that I had remaining from the holidays. Super great cake. It has a nice density that makes it heavy and filling and the fruits and nuts give it a pleasing consistency and flavor.
Recommended. Thanks for sharing.
Very tasty! I added some orange zest & subbed peanuts for the walnuts because one of my friends is very allergic to tree nuts. I'd prefer the walnuts, but it was still very good. And easy!