Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Scrumptious banana bread, light and moist. The recipe was given to me by a neighbor who also loaned me her teenage daughter to babysit. I remember all fondly.
- 1 package fresh cranberries (4 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (more if you like it sweeter)
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 large bananas, very ripe
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup water (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (optional)
- Grease large (this is a large loaf) bread pan with shortening.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare cranberries: Combine cranberries, water and sugar (1 1/2 cups) in a saucepan and bring slowly to a boil.
- Simmer until done, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- (Don't overcook--the cranberries are done when they pop open.) Drain in sieve over a bowl.
- Discard juices or use elsewhere.
- To prepare bread: Mash bananas with a fork until very smooth.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With and electric mixer, cream shortening until light.
- Add sugar (2/3 cup) gradually until very light.
- Add eggs one at a time until light and fluffy.
- Add mashed banana and mix well.
- On low speed, gradually add dry ingredients until well blended.
- Beat until smooth.
- Very carefully stir in cranberries and walnuts.
- (Maybe only a couple of swipes with the rubber spatula.) Bake for about 1 hour until bread springs back when lightly touched.
- To prepare glaze (i. e., gilding the lily): Boil water and sugar in a saucepan about 2 minutes until syrupy, stirring constantly.
- After bread has cooled slightly (10 minutes or so), pour glaze over top of bread while it is still in the pan.
- Cool completely before removing.