Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Mom makes this and I love it.
Top Review by Chefette2u
This was sooo good! I actually doubled the recipe, added a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and then prepared as per the instructions. Gave 1 pan to my next door neighbors, and their comments mirrored my own, - "totally delicious!" And I added the recipe to my "make again" file. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!
- 4 1⁄2 cups peeled cored, coarsely chopped cooking apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen cranberries
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan or pie plate.
- In a large saucepan, combine the apples, cranberries, sugar, flour, orange zest, and orange juice.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples are nearly tender.
- Spoon into prepared baking pan; set aside.
- To make the topping: in a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the butter using a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Add in milk and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls over the hot apple mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm.