Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
In Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Chocolate Desserts
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons unsifted all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon dry instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 6 ounces sweet butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons strained powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position oven rack 1/3 up from the bottom of the oven; preheat to 350°.
- You will need an 8 inch round cake pan that is 3 inches deep or a 2 ½ quart souffle dish.
- Cut a round of wax paper to fit the bottom.
- Butter the sides of the pan and one side of the paper; place the paper, buttered side up, in the pan.
- Shake a bit of flour into the pan, tap it around to coat all surfaces, then invert the pan to remove excess; set aside.
- Sift the flour and sugar together; set aside.
- Place chocolate in the top of a large double boiler over hot water on medium heat.
- Dissolve the coffee in the boiling water and pour over the chocolate.
- Cover the pot and leave until the chocolate is melted.
- Remove the top of the double boiler and stir well with a wire whisk until smooth.
- With the whisk gradually stir in the butter, adding about a ½ inch slice at a time and whisking until smooth after each addition.
- Gradually whisk in the dry ingredients and then the rum.
- Add egg yolks to a large bowl; stir them lightly with the whisk just to mix; gradually add the warm chocolate mixture, stirring well to mix.
- Add the salt to the egg whites; beat until they just hold a shape or are stiff but not dry.
- In two or three additions fold the whites into the chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan; smooth the top.
- Place prepared pan in a larger but not deeper pan, and pour in hot water to reach e cut AWhipped Cream: whip the ingredients until they are stiff enough to hold a shape when spread over the cake.
- With a small metal spatula first cover the sides of the cake and then the top.
- Additionally, may decorate with chocolate curls or with candied violets or rose petals.
- May refrigerate, if needed before serving.