Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a less sweet and dryer cornbread, but it's like grandma made. goes good with beans and greens.
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons shortening or 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk or 1 2⁄3 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups pork cracklings
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x9 inch square baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs, shortening and milk.
- In another bowl, stir together the cornmeal, sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients until smooth,.
- Fold in pork cracklin's.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes,.
- Until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and the top is slightly brown.